Saturday, December 24, 2011

2003 VW Passat New Tires?

I have a 2003 VW Passat GLS Front wheel drive. I bought the car used from a VW Dealer in 2006. It came with new tires it was a weird brand that I have never seen before. Not long after I bought it the rubber started to come off my tires in chunks. So I took them to Discount Tire that carried that brand of tires and they offered to replace the tire that was defective or credit me money on all four tires. I took the credit and bought the Goodyear Triple Tread Assurance Tires. Discount Tire installed them and everything seemed great the tires handled awesome in the wintertime I live up in Minnesota by the way. I always was on top of my rotations for the tires. Last month when I went to get them rotated they said I should start looking into getting new tires which I expected because I got about 60,000 miles on them. I was really happy with the good years so I was thinking I would probably get the same ones again. Well today I went to Sam's Club and I thought well while I'm here I will go and see what they charge for the Goodyear tires. When I walk in I ask the guy if they have the Triple Assurance Tires he says yes and ask what type of vehicle are they for. I tell him and he says that they would not mount those tires on my car because they are not designed to support the weight of a European vw car. I said well those are the tires I have on my car right now and he said that if I would go and look at my tires that they would be wore down on a angle and that is true I knew before I went in that the tires were wore on a angle. The guy then recommends me the Dunlop Signature 91H tire. Now that I'm home I have done some research and found that the Dunlop Signature is a Touring tire. I'm hopping to get a tire that is more performance driven then touring. Do you think I should believe the Sam's Club guy? If anyone has any suggestions on what tires would be the best for my car that would be great. Remember they need to also be good in the winter to. Sorry about the long explanation. Thanks for the help Everyone.|||It sounds like the Goodyear's were a good tire. A 2003 passat does require a 91H tire.(91 being the load rating and H the speed rating)VW does extensive testing with tires and anything with a lower rating could be unsafe. You can go higher, but not lower. Tirerack.com is a good source for you to do research on all types of brands.|||and you had them how long of time 60,000 miles did you feel they drove bad or didnt get the miles sure bet he had more Dunlop Signature for a higher price don tbuy tire at off neat shop like sam or walmarts go to a real tire store prices wil be real close you like what you had buy more of them im a tire guy my trade what i say to peopel is cl three places know your size its on driver door sticker ask whats your cheapest tire in that size an dafter they tel you then ask what else you have and that next tire wil be a better longer lasting tire my self prefer a flat looking tread over a rounded edge type an dyou can press down on bear tire if its push in easy its cheap and short life shop for the best or type you like type into searchbox





best touring tire


best all season tire


best handling tire


best winter tire


things like that wil bring up best an d go from there shop a round for prices|||Check out the "Michelin" brand tires. They provide reasonable pricing with no compromising in performance. The Pilot %26amp; Primacy are a couple of subcategories to consider. Sam's may have them, yet Costco carries them for sure. Do a quick search on Costco website, see if you like the tread configuration. As you know, do an alignment, especially if you intend to change all four tires, and always get the size meant for your specific tire rims.|||hhhhhhhh|||Go onto tirerack.com, there are many choices. The nimrod from Sam's is full of horsedung. There is no such thing as a tire not "designed to support the weight of a European vw car." There are domestic cars out there that weigh significantly more than a Passat.

No comments:

Post a Comment